Nick R on Fri, 6 Aug 1999 19:27:47 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] soft RAID

I should've been more specific. RAID 5.

From: "Nick R" <laktar@hotmail.com>
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: [Plug] soft RAID
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 16:04:12 PDT

A friend & I were talking about RAID & he mentioned how much a RAID card
costs ($1500-$3000 each). That got me thinking. Why hasn't or doesn't
somebody develop a software version of RAID? You'd need to duplicate the
kernel, disk drivers, and RAID on at least 2 disks, but aside from that the
rest could all be normal RAID. That kind of solution would really get people
interested in Linux. Is there some important issue that I've missed or is it
just that nobody's done this before?