tburba on Mon, 9 Aug 1999 13:46:17 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Printing binary files & "raw" mode?

Thanks! This got me off top-dead-center...

jason@survivalnet.com on 08/09/99 11:50:58 AM

Please respond to plug@lists.nothinbut.net

To:   plug@lists.nothinbut.net
cc:    (bcc: Thomas A Burba/USVISION)
Subject:  Re: [Plug] Printing binary files & "raw" mode?

Dunno, I dont do much printing under linux. Actually, I dont print
stuff at all. Anyways, check section 11.5 of the printer howto.

 11.5.  To an HP or other ethernet printer
HPs and some other printers come with an ethernet interface which you
can print to directly using lpd.  You should follow the instructions
that came with your printer or its network adaptor, but in general,
such printers are "running" lpd, and provide one or more queues which
you can print to.  An HP, for example, might work with a printcap
like:
lj-5|remote-hplj:\
:lp=/dev/null:sh:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj-5:\
:rm=printer.name.com:rp=raw:
HP Laserjet printers with Jet Direct interfaces generally support two
built in lpd queues - "raw" which accepts PCL (and possibly
Postscript) and "text" which accepts straight ascii (and copes
automatically with the staircase effect).  If you've got a JetDirect
Plus3 three-port box, the queues are named "raw1", "text2", and so
forth.
J.
When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.