Nick R on Wed, 11 Aug 1999 01:24:34 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] CPU Dependent Components (Linmodems)

I think that the biggest thing that rubs me the wrong way about software modems is the standards issue. In general, standards are good. We have a standard here that works very nice so that you can easily use a modem w/o even having to know what brand it is or anything. For a small gain modem manufacturers have just decided to mess that up. If you have a standard that works well, you don't go away from that. It's just stupid and counterproductive. You unnecisarily complicate things as prior to destroying the standard everything was designed to work with that standard. If you destroy the standard you cause a whole lot of problems. Even in Win95 where the OS is (sort of, more than under Linux) designed to work well with software modems I've had a lot of problems. Between that and PnP I'm just about ready to run fiber out to the line from the local HS that runs by my house. I think I could put that T1 line to good use. They certainly aren't.

From: "Jason S." <jason@survivalnet.com>
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Re: [Plug] CPU Dependent Components (Linmodems)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:10:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Michael W. Ryan wrote:
> systems (note the specific case), you're probably not going to be
> constantly using your modem.  When you're not using your modem, you can
> then use the resource provided by the extra CPU/memory for other tasks.
> The same argument can be applied to software 3D acceleration.
>
> I can't believe I just made this argument.

Take a look at the current state of 3D. Software accelleration wont
happen. There just isnt enough CPU. Its all about whats acceptable
performace to you. You could make the argument that if you dont use
a cd-rom much, then a 2 or 6x should be fine. The money you saved
could be used for something else. As long as you're aware of the
choice you're making and the trade off, I dont really have a problem.
My problem lies with the fact that the manufacturers of most winmodems
tend to obscure the fact that the hardware is dependant on software.
Thats _my_ biggest gripe. How many times have you seen someone wonder
why the modem they just 'got a great deal' on wont work?

If they'd known from the begining, it'd be different.