Kyle Burton on Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:25:09 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] Remote X Session

X works like this:

  The 'server' is a display server
  The 'clients' are the programs you run

the client-server works like this:  you run an X server on the box you
sit infront of, when you run a client program on your box, or a remote box
(with the DISPLAY env var pointing at your X server), the client (the
prorgram you ran) makes requests to the server (running on the box in
front of you) to perform display tasks.

So.  Run your X server on your box (read the documentation on your X server,
determine how to enable remote X clients to connect to iti, and enable it).
Telnet in to the linux box, type (as appropriate for your shell):

export DISPLAY=192.168.0.1:0.0

replacing the ip address with the ip address of the box your X server is
running on (you can use a dns name instead of a raw ip if you have dns, and
the name of your box resolves).

Next, run something like 'xterm&' or 'netscape&' or whatever, and the
display shoudl pop up on your X server.

As far as doing the entire desktop thing soup to nuts, I don't know how
to do the whole xdm thingy to a remote box, but I suspect that it's pretty
easy.

Most of the commercial X servers for 'doze like to use rsh or rexec to
run the X client programs (like xterm or netscape as I showed above), but
I would _NOT_ recommend that you keep the r-commands enabled on the
remote box as they have tons tons tons of security issues

Remember when I circumvented the security on the hp boxes at that place
we used to work?  it was because of poorly thought out rsh/rexec/rlogin
administration.

thus, as Jason suggested, use ssh -- but alas, the ssh client for 'doze
is called secure crt, and costs $$

do as thou willst, but keep your willst off of me

"From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back. That is the
point that must be reached."
    -- Kafka