Nick R on Mon, 16 Aug 1999 22:24:48 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] WD FAQs

This isn't Linux related (well, a bit, but not much), but kind of funny so read it anyway & forgive me for my little transgression. I recently e-mailed Western Digital to complain about the poor quality message boards they have that I was using to complain about the lack of a Linux based program to do diagnostics on my HD so I wouldn't have to make a W95 boot disk and reboot rather than just test an unmounted HD (see, I told you it was Linux related in a vague and not quite sufficient manner). Anyway, I got back an automated response and inside it I read this:

       * For more troubleshooting see our award-winning FAQs at
         http://www.westerndigital.com/service/FAQ/drives.html

and had to take a kind of double take. Award-winning troubleshooting FAQs? huh? They give out awards for that kind of thing? What awards would those be? Somehow I don't think that they are award-winning no matter how good they are and that's kind of funny and a bit sick that they'd do something like this so casually. & here I thought only m$ resorted to those kinds of tactics.