Michael C. Toren on Mon, 16 Aug 1999 23:35:49 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Proxy Server

> My school incorporated MS Proxy server to deal with bandwidth problems
> or some such nonsense.  Immediately after it was installed I couldn't
> get anymore responses out of http or ftp sites.  I went to microsoft.com
> <shiver> and found that I need to install some sort of UNIX-based SOCKS
> client to get it working again.  Does anyone know where I could find
> such a client?

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Network/misc/socks-linux-src.tgz
contains the SOCKS proxy server, in addition to a few pre-configured
utilities which have been SOCKified (telnet, etc).  Netscape already has
native support for SOCKS, by the way; check the Proxies section, under
Network Preferences.

For more information, see the Firewall-HOWTO at http://www.linux-howto.com/

-mct