John Nolan on Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:27:38 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Trouble starting X remotely - VNC solution

> > Do you mean that it lets anyone connect to it from any source
> > and open windows?
>
> I'd suspect that it's just like the X protocol [unless you're tunneling it
> though ssh or some other kind of vpn connection] -- clear and visible on
> the wire.
>
> Open to sniffing.

Hm.  Are you saying that other X-servers offer some alternative
kind of connection?  I thought that this was basically the norm
with X-software.  It's all in the clear.

Someone mentioned that this one particular server was not secure,
so I was just wondering what the actual difference was between
this server and other X-servers for Windows.  Just curious.  :)

I know that you can run an X connection over an ssh pipe,
What other ways are there to encrypt an X connection?
Do any X-servers for MS-Windows encrypt the connection?
I've never heard of any that do this.

Again, just wondering.  This is new to me.  :)