Nick R on Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:22:44 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Crashing Linux

My programming prof started talking about stack overflows today in class and I commented that you probably couldn't do that in Linux, that it would just shut down the program. Well I telnetted into my box at home and tried it out for him. Sure enough I got a segmentation fault and the program exited, leaving my computer up and running sans problems. It got me thinking. What does it actually take to crash a Linux box? I'd assume you wouldn't be able to just write to memory in kernel space or something like you could in W95 and the like. Short of modifying the kernel code what does it take to crash a Linux box & is there any way to do this w/o root access?