Tracy Nelson on Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:27:25 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Simple CGI question (featuring RH6.0 and Apache 1.3)

I've just started playing with Apache, and I can't seem to get CGI scripts
to work.  I have installed a simple one (the canonical "Hello, world!"
example from cgi101.com) in the http root directory (/home/httpd/htm).  I
can access the script just fine, but it doesn't execute -- I just get the
text from the script.  I can run it from the command line, and I can link to
it from a web page, but it never executes.  I looked through the httpd.conf
script, but I didn't see anything obvious there (like
"PutCGIScriptsHere=..." ;).  I've read through the on-line docs that came
with Apache and I didn't see anything there either.

Is there a good beginner's CGI book or web site anywhere?  I'm going through
CGI 101 on the cgi101.com web site, but all they say in this case is "ask
your webmaster".

Thanks!
-- Tracy Nelson