Kyle Burton on Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:52:11 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] getting help

After toying with my redhat box -- a laptop that gets started/shutdown on
a daily basis (it's never been up for more than a day at a time), I
was seeking the systems help with the 'man -k', whatis, and apropos
commands.

Normally, the whatis database is built weekly by a cron script (I noticed
the script while writing the earlier email regardding log rotation), but
on my systems, since I reboot them so frequently, it never got built.
So the help commands I mentioned above never had a database to search
through.

For those of you in the same boat as myself (systems with artificialy short
uptimes), it might be of use to manually run the /etc/cron.weekly/makewhatis
script once in a while so you have these [very convienient] help features
available to you.

just a thought...

The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between
a mermaid and a seal.
    -- Mark Twain