Kevin Hill on Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:40:58 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Authenticated POP (was Re: [Plug] Microsoft Striks [sic] Again)

The main reason I favor secure IMAP is because it's natively supported
in Netscape Communicator messaging clients.  It's nice to have a secure
POP server but I need my client to support it, too.  Otherwise, I'll
never use the thing.  Messaging Server 4.1, BTW, will be available for
Linux (glibc 2.1) within one month.

And I'd rather resort to snail mail than use any Microsoft products.

- khill

Andrew White wrote:

> Hello fellow PLUG members,
>
> Actually, POP can support encrypted passowrds via the extension
> referenced in RFC 1734, "POP3 AUTHentication command".  Some POP clients
> that support APOP include Microsoft Outlook Express, Eudora Lite,
> and Claris EMailer.  APOP-compliant POP servers include Qualcomm QPopper
> 2.2 and higher as well as Microsoft Exchange.
>
> -Andrew
>
> On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Michael W. Ryan wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Nick R wrote:
> >
> > > Umm, aren't the passwords encrypted?
> >
> > Nope.  Only if the protocol supports encrypted passwords, and POP isn't
> > one of them.  POP is clear text.  So is HTTP.  If you capture packets,
> > you can reconstruct a persons session VERBATIM, headers, content,
> > everything.
> >
> > Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 1999
> > mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
> > http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/
> >
> > PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
> > PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)

begin:vcard
n:Hill;Kevin
tel;fax:215.283.4942
tel;work:215.283.4877
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.quarterleaf.com/
org:The Sycamore Group;Enterprise Development Division
version:2.1
email;internet:khill@quarterleaf.com
title:Senior Application Architect
adr;quoted-printable:;;580 Virginia Drive=0D=0ASuite 100;Fort Washington;PA;19034;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;25440
fn:Kevin Hill
end:vcard