Kyle Burton on Fri, 3 Sep 1999 08:36:37 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] kurt's talk and next meeting

This is in response to the path stuff:

On my box, in my ~/.bashrc, there's code that looks for /etc/bashrc, and
sources it if it exists.

I think this is default, though since it's my .bashrc, I can change it.
So, since sourcing /etc/bashrc is standard convention, you could put it
there (or /etc/profile if a simlar methodology is followed for shells
that use it).  If I wanted to to be system wide, I'd add it to the
/etc/bashrc file.  But I personaly wouldn't put any sbin directories in
normal users' paths -- is not sbin meant for super-user utilities?

I think bash (and most shells in general) only source the files in the
users' home directory (.profile .login .bash_profile .bashrc etc.).

I'm still in the process of learning about this stuff, so my answers
probably aren't authoritative.

A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming, is not
worth knowing.
    -- Alan J. Perlis