Nick R on Fri, 3 Sep 1999 17:26:02 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Fwd: Your application has been approved for a Free-PC

You remember that whole FreePC deal? Well I just got this. So what do you all think? The part about the credit card scares me a bit. It would also be nice to see the specs so I could tell if it's worth stripping it for parts. That does fall under what you can do as long as the HD is intact and you run a system off of that for 10 hours a month. Anything anybody could tell me about this would be very helpful. BTW, follow that link to register and read all of the specifics of the deal.

       -Laktar, a.k.a. Nick Rosen, laktar.dyndns.org

If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord:
64. I will see a competent psychiatrist and get cured of all extremely unusual
phobias and bizarre compulsive habits which could prove to be a disadvantage.
-- Peter's Evil Overlord List, http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

From: FreePC <20k@free-pc.com>
Subject: Your application has been approved for a Free-PC
Date: 3 Sep 1999 18:39:36 -0000

Here is your personal link to Free-PC - print out this email and keep it in
a safe place!
        Username: ******** (case sensitive)
        Password: ******** (case sensitive)

It is my pleasure to inform you that you have been selected to receive a
Free-PC! Please respond quickly - the sooner you complete these final steps,
the sooner you?ll receive your Free-PC!

There are a few steps to complete before you can receive your computer. One
of them is to enter into an agreement with us for the use of the PC. This
agreement spells out what you need to do as part of the deal - such as using
the computer at least ten hours a month and avoiding doing things that would
disable the Free-PC desktop software. There are also requirements for us as
well, the most important of which is keeping the personal information you
provide us confidential.

Throughout your participation in the Free-PC program, we expect you to
behave responsibly with the valuable asset we are providing you. However,
we need a way to secure the Free-PCs against the rare situation of improper
use or fraud. To do that, we will require you to provide us with a valid
credit card number. This information will be held in a secure database and
never revealed to anyone. But if you fail to abide by our Customer Agreement
and you do not return the PC to us when requested, we will charge your
credit card a
termination fee.

If you can live with these simple but important requirements, welcome!  By
clicking on this link
https://ssl.free-pc.com/p100agreement.cgi?u=Sea57e534179d455d
you will be taken to a spot on our Web site where you will accept our
customer agreement as well as fill out one final questionnaire about your
interests. The whole process will take about 15 minutes.  COMPUTERS WILL
BEGIN SHIPPING IN OCTOBER. We will notify you close to that time so you
may plan accordingly.

Please note that this link will direct you to a secure server (which is why
the Web site address begins with the letters https instead of the normal
http). If you are using an older browser (3.0 or prior versions of Netscape
Navigator, Internet Explorer or AOL), it will not recognize our site as
secure. You must download the newest versions of any of these browsers
(they are free) to complete the process and protect your personal
information. If you are not able to link directly from this email to the
Web site just by clicking on the above ID, please use great care in copying
the address into your browser. If at all possible, use the Windows copy
function (using the Windows menu, highlight, copy and paste the personal ID)
rather than attempt to retype the entire number.

IMPORTANT This offer expires at 9 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time, Monday,
September 13, 1999. If you have not gone to our Web site via the link above
by that time, we will assume that you have chosen to withdraw your name from
consideration, and we will select another recipient in your place.

Thanks again for being a part of a whole new movement in computing. We look
forward to having you as a member of the Free-PC Network!

Sincerely,

Don La Vigne
CEO
Free-PC, Inc.