Morgan Wajda-Levie on Mon, 6 Sep 1999 17:19:17 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 02:11:02PM -0700, Aaron Brown wrote:
> Ok I know this has to do with the display settings, I just dont know where
> to look for it.  This isthe situation.  When I am in X on my local
> machine, and logged in as someone, I can use the X applications with no
> problems.  But when I su or change to another user in a TERM I get the
> following error:
>
> Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
> environment variable
>
> I dont know whereto look to fix this, nor do I have a clue what to set as
> the display envvironment, I would like to still be able to run X programs
> on remote hosts too..

Just type xhost +localhost (or the ip of your computer)

I'm not sure how to make that permanent.  You can probably find out by
reading the xhost manpage.

--
Morgan Wajda-Levie
http://www.worldaxes.com/wajdalev