Tim Peeler on Tue, 7 Sep 1999 06:48:41 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Beowulf and Multi-Processor systems

I submitted this to /. a few weeks back but I got no response, so I decided
that I should share this with everyone on the plug list and see if I could get
someone with enough talent to help me out.

I've been thinking about creating an add-in multi-processor "beowulf" pci card,
unfortunately I don't have the hardware know-how to even get started.  There's
probably already something like this for high-end computers and the idea is
somewhat taken from a rack computer and a cray, but with a twist.

I know there's lots of people (myself included) that would like to play around
with a beowulf linux system.  One of the problems I see with beowulf systems
for us average geeks (read: broke bastards) is the power requirements.  You
really couldn't run it all the time w/o breaking the bank to pay peco (not to
mention the heat generated!).  So I've been thinking, you should be able to
put a minimal 4 processor motherboard onto a pci card, provided that you've
got all the required chipsets.  So far I realize that you'd need the following:

1.) A large clean breadboard w/ a pci connector.
2.) 4 cheap x86's (preferably 5 or 6 (pro, not II/III))
3.) 4 zif socets
4.) 2 dram sockets
5.) 2 128M dram dimms
6.) Specialized I/O chipset
7.) Power regulators & power supply (plugin from the main power supply from
     your pc.
8.) Kernel drivers
9.) Ramdisk linux image
10.) 512 - 1024 ROM for kernel

Like I said I don't have the hardware knowledge to make this fly or even get
started.  But what I 'envision' is a pci based multiprocessor mini-motherboard,
to create a plug-in beowulf system (assuming you have a free slot or 4 ;-)
The biggest problem would be the I/O chipset, I don't think anyone here has
their own rom burners and chip fab plants ;-)

Once you've gotten the board the rest is easy, the board waits in an infinite
NOP loop until the kernel booting your main MB has a chance to load a driver
for the board, at which point it tells the board to begin it's boot sequence.
dimm, setting up communication stuff, etc)

I know I for one would like to have something like this that I could plug-in to
my pc (if only to claim I have a beowulf system ;-)

Tim

Ps. If there's no way in hell to get this to work, or if there's something
already out there that i've not seen, please don't flame me too badly :-P

--
I still maintain the point that designing a monolithic kernel in 1991 is a
fundamental error.  Be thankful you are not my student.  You would not get a