Darxus on Tue, 7 Sep 1999 11:27:28 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] freeware windows X server ? (was: Re: uncrippled win32 X server)

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Velvet Acid Christ wrote:

> Cool deal. Ok, here's one:
> http://tnt.microimages.com/www/html/freestuf/mix/
>
> The win32 X servers are usually a pay type deal. The free ones do the
> job, but not usually as well. The best one I used on win32 was Exceed
> by I think its Hummingbird.

It looks like they have a free mac X server, and their windows version
used to be free, but now has a trial period and then a license fee.

Since my inquiry about a freeware ssh client was so successful, I thought
I'd send this one to the plug list too.

I have X-Win32 -- it works for 2 hours at a time (cripple).

And then there's X-WinPro, which costs $99.

So do any of you know of a freeware win32 X server ?

Why isn't XFree86 ported ?  What would it take ?