Jason S. on Wed, 8 Sep 1999 14:34:04 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] server mail setup help

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, 23-Three wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a Redhat Linux 6.0. I set the system up to be a web server and I want
> to host multiple domains.
>
> What is the best way or system to use to provide email for users?
>
> I would like them to be able to use a POP3 connection from home over the
> Internet. For example they would have www.thierdomain.com then to receive
> email as a user at that domain.
> What about forwarding mail? How is it done?
>
> Any suggestions, links or books to read would be appreciated.

I suggest you pick a mail transport agent, and read up on it.
Theres a _lot_ of ways to do this. I'm partial to sendmail, but
then... I'm twisted. The bat book is a good reference. Its published
by O'Reilly & Assoc.

> Also how can you set up a user so they do not have a shell account but just
> a pop mailbox and access to a directory?

Cyrus comes to mind. It supports authenticating via a number of
alternate methods. The idea is, sendmail delivers mail to remote domains
and cyrus delivers mail for the local users. You create "mail only"
accounts and they can use pop3/imap whatever to read their mail.

http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/cyrus/

I really suggest you read/understand your mail system before you
throw cyrus into the mix. If you decide to check it out, they have
a fairly helpful mailing list in case you have questions.