Hugh Brock on Thu, 9 Sep 1999 13:55:15 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] emacs files

"Daniel K. Spicer" wrote:

> When I edit a file in emacs, it creates files named #filename#
> When I try to rm, mv, or cp these files, I get an error as though the
> files don't exist.
>
> What kind of files are these, and how can I get rid of them ??

Hi!

The #foo.bar# files are auto-save files emacs makes in case your system
crashes before you've saved the final version you're working on. To
delete them, rm '#foo.bar#' should work. However, I'd hesitate to delete
them until you've executed M-x recover-file in emacs to make sure you
don't have lost work saved in there.

Good luck,
--H