Eric Windisch on Sun, 12 Sep 1999 01:05:38 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Re:NT/W95 Login Authentication Schemes

"Engineer(2)" wrote:

> > I agree w/ you that NT can be fairly secure,
> >
>         I don't. We run the latest NT that's available, and every three days
> there's another 'security alert' that our poor sysadmin has to deal with. It
> is only through diligence that you can possibly have security. If you feel
> that the students are unwilling to participate, then restrict their access
> accordingly.
>
>         NT is like a swiss cheese, and even more than that, there are tons
> of 'crackers' out there with a grudge against Bill Gates and plenty of time
> on their hands. They will find a way, and they will be imitated, perhaps by
> some of your students.
>
>         As far as sharing passwords, perhaps something as simple as a
> threatening message when they log on would be enough to discourage most of
> them. How about 'anyone caught on another's account will cause *both*
> accounts to be suspended pending investigation'. Use peer pressure to your
> advantage!

sort of funny with that last paragraph there, because my school has a
message but they (accidently?) wrote it to say that you will be
suspended/fined/whatever if you login to the network.

--
Eric