Nick R on Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:43:12 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] lilo Partition entry not found

Don't you need to specify a number? As in /dev/hda5?
       -Laktar, a.k.a. Nick Rosen, laktar.dyndns.org

If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord:
7. When I've captured my adversary and he says, "Look, before you kill me,
will you at least tell me what this is all about?" I'll say, "No." and shoot
him. No, on second thought I'll shoot him then say "No."
-- Peter's Evil Overlord List, http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

From: Son To <son@wharton.upenn.edu>
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: [Plug] lilo Partition entry not found
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 23:42:25 -0400 (EDT)

My Sony Viao F250 laptop came preinstalled with win98. I nuked the win98
partition and installed Linux. I then proceeded to install win98 from
the recovery CD. This is not a win98 install CD so it did not over-write
the mbr.  I modified lilo.conf adding

other=/dev/hda5
 	label=win
	table=/dev/hda

running lilo gives the message
"Partition entry not found"

I think the problem is in /boot/map. The lilo man page says that /boot/map
contains the name and location of kernel(s) to boot. Since I installed
linux first, /boot/map contains only the location of the linux kernel. How
do I add the win98 kernel to /boot/map?

thanks for any info,
son