Jason S. on Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:37:22 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] intro to Linux book ?

That rocks dude. Beth's starting to show interest as well. Anyways,
without getting bogged down in the RH vs everything else dogma, if
you pick up the book let me know how well it explains dselect and
apt-get.

I found debian to be overly cumbersome to manage packages on.
Mostly its because I'm far more familiar with rpm, and the fact that
the debian maintainer have a propensity to subdivide software into
smaller packages. eg: eterm and eterm-backgrounds.

A book that covered package management in depth would go a long ways
for me. That was one of my major complaints. My other complaint was
to get the latest version of X and other packages you had to run the
"unstable" version. While I dont really mind the name, and I never had
a major problem (besides a problem where my kernel headers didnt match
the version I was running) it does sort of bother me.

However, with the coming DSL and the bandwidth I'll have it makes sense
to look back into debian simply for the apt-get ability. If not for my
main machine, then perhaps for the firewall. The only sticking point
is my tendency to build my own "unstable" CVS versions of several
large packages (gnome, E, kde) limits my ability to just do blind
updates. I'll wind up undoing my own work. :)

I realize you dont run several of these packages much and prefer the
console. Thats why I'm replying to all. If anyone is running debian and
spends  significant time in X, how's their KDE/Gnome packages? How's
the updates as far as timely releases? And how on earth did you ever
get used to dselect? :)

I've built packages for both systems, and while debians is easier to
build (libs can be a pain tho), I like how rpm works. They're both
decent for what they do, and I'd love to see a Linux Standard Package
for all distros. If I can learn rpm, I can pretty much learn anything.
I mean, really.. vi was easier to learn than rpm :)

My problem here is time. I am looking for a good resource to turn to
when I get stuck. I'd rather not just get source and compile. I'd like
to use the tools available and do things the "right" way. But I also
cant spend all day tweaking my package selection for install.

I still have my debian cd's of 2.1. Would I be better off using them
to get a base install going or should I just download the boot disks
and do an ftp install?

Thanks for any insights.

J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.