Nick R on Wed, 29 Sep 1999 21:04:15 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Gas Blunder

Yeah, it did route around it, but not particularly well. The Internet kept functioning, but it didn't do a very good job of it as evidenced by the inability of me & a few others I talked to to get to /. during a certain time period and my ability to get to hotmail due to people not getting on on the other side of the country. Of course the survivability of the Internet is really just an illusion. You could, with a very few small disasters, take out enough pipelines to practically shut the Internet down or just take out the ability to register new domains and change IPs on existing ones. That last part of the process is pretty freaking centralized. Although, if you took out a few key organizations there you could resolve a good deal of the conflict and make things a lot smoother.

       -Laktar, a.k.a. Nick Rosen, laktar.dyndns.org

If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord:
82. I will not shoot at any of my enemies if they are standing in front of the
crucial support beam to a heavy, dangerous, unbalanced structure.
-- Peter's Evil Overlord List, http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

From: "Bill Jonas" <Bill_Jonas@email.msn.com>
To: <plug@lists.nothinbut.net>
Subject: Re: [Plug] Gas Blunder
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:46:56 -0400

I was reading about this earlier... and while it's annoying for everybody,
it actually should turn out to be a Good Thing (tm).  The article mentions
some of the ops being confused as to why most of the data stream is being
routed through Europe... well, think about it.  The Internet is doing
exactly what it's supposed to do!  It was *designed* to do this, to reroute
information around a breakage, rather than lose the data stream altogether.

Of course, that doesn't really change what I think about those IDIOTS at
that gas company.  :)

Bill