Edward J. Sager on Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:50:22 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] how would you do a report off of an SQL database ?

I would:

Use PERL
Install DBD and DBI to get to my data.
Install PDFlib (www.pdflib.com) and integrate into PERL as per directions.
Install Adobe acrobat reader into my browsers.
Write CGI scripts that read data from database and output PDF files
Throw in some of the postscript plotting tools for graphs, etc

or

Use PERL, DBI and DBD as above
Install MS's Word Viewer into my browsers
Write CGI scripts that read data from database and output RTF files

Both options will create  attractive documents formatted like a word
processor within the browser window and print identically to local printers