Tracy Nelson on Sat, 2 Oct 1999 22:17:28 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Build Your Own Cables? Free Stuff

Speaking of free stuff, anybody need a Sun workstation?  I picked it up
at the last meeting and was going to fix it up for use as an X terminal,
but now it looks like I won't have time to get it up and running, so I
thought I'd see if anyone else wanted to try.  I've fixed it up to the
point that it boots into the firmware monitor (I bought 16M of RAM and a
SCSI cable), but I can't seem to make it boot.  I don't know for sure if
the disk is bootable (it's supposed to have RH5.x on it), or if it just
needs a SCSI terminator or what (I have no docs).  I also managed to
find a mouse, but it's one of those goofy Sun optical mice, and I don't
have the matching mouse pad, so you'll need one.  Other than that, it's
complete, so it shouldn't cost you anything to get it working, if you've
got some time to invest in getting the configuration straightened out.
I'd recommend that you have a SCSI machine, though, so that you can
check out the disk and make sure it's bootable (and so that you can load
the software on it in case it's not).

If anyone wants it, just drop me a note and I'll bring it to the
meeting.