Michael Leone on Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:39:46 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] root user

>> Bottom line, never do this.
>
>My bottonm line is that I have been doing this for 15 years.

>If you have a machine ON the net then of course do not log on to
>ANY account or even su to an account that can get
>root priv via sudo or ANY OTHER MEANS.
>A sniffer can get the password for accounts with sudo priv as easily as
>another root priv account.  sudo gives you MAYBE a false sense of
>security but solves no security problems.

It's not just the security aspects; it's doing something that will cause
you to corrupt something - the OS, an app, a hard drive, whatever.

Thinking that using root involves only a security danger, and not a danger
that you could inadvertently foobar your whole system, is dangerous in
itself.