tburba on Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:22:14 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] graphical load monitor

I assume this is debian. Does RH have anything? Thanks.

ldc@netaxs.com on 10/22/99 08:53:57 AM

Please respond to plug@lists.nothinbut.net

To:   plug@lists.nothinbut.net
cc:    (bcc: Thomas A Burba/USVISION)
Subject:  Re: [Plug] graphical load monitor

Have you tried procmeter?
Darxus wrote:

> My boss, who's been at a couple of the PLUG meetings, is interested in
> trying a Linux Samba server.  But he wants me to document how to secure &
> monitor it first (as if this is done for any NT box here).
>
> As far as security, I expect the following to be far more than sufficient
> (and be way more secure than any NT box on our network):
>
> 1) use ipchains to restrict all but samba & ssh connections
> 2) install tripwire
> 3) remove all server programs not in use
>
> I am familar with all 3 processes.
>
> For monitoring, he basically wants a Linux equivalent of NT's perfmon
> (Performance Monitor). I think he basically wants to see cpu, memory, and
> network load over time, in a GUI (he used the word GUI when stating his
> requirments).
>
> Now, I've written a perl script that uses stuff in /proc to display load
> over given intervals (in plaintext, similar to vmstat), and I could
> probably add cpu load & memory usage somehow, and then plot it with GNU
> Plot or something, but I'm wondering if there's anything that already
> exists that would do these things for me and not make me build it myself.

          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/
LeRoy D. Cressy           /\_/\          mailto:ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting      ( o.o )         Phone (215) 535-4037