Walt Mankowski on Sun, 24 Oct 1999 22:17:37 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] RedHat 6.1

On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 04:17:01PM -0400, Thomas E. Keiser wrote:
> I've been out of town, but I believe I saw a RH 6.2 that supposedly corrects
> these errors.
>
> * * wrote:
>
> > I need help bad! I'm trying to install RedHat 6.1 and every time it gets to:
> >
> > Reading Package Information an execption occurs. It says 'traceback
> > innermost last' and then a bunch of /this/file error line xxx. At the bottom
> > it says 'ok' or 'debug'. I tried the new boot image updates, I tried doing
> > it over ftp. I even downloaded everything on to a spare hard drive. NOTHING
> > WORKS.

Red Hat is still on version 6.1, but they did put out an update to
their installer on Friday.  I'm not sure this is the problem you're
having, but I'll append the announcement so you can look into it.

Walt

		   Red Hat, Inc. Errata Advisory

Synopsis:		Installer updates for Red Hat 6.1
Advisory ID:		RHEA-1999:045
Issue date:		1999-10-22
Updated on:		1999-10-22
Keywords:		anaconda installer hpfs ntfs gdm lilo kickstart bootdisk
Cross references:	RHEA-1999:044

1. Topic:

New anaconda boot disks and update disks are available which refixes  the
NTFS and partition type 0x0f problems supposedly fixed by RHEA-1999:044, and
stops KDE Desktop installs from making GNOME the default desktop.

2. Bug IDs fixed (http://developer.redhat.com/bugzilla for more info):

3. Relevant releases/architectures:

Red Hat Linux 6.1 Intel

4. Obsoleted by:

5. Conflicts with:

6. RPMs required:

7. Problem description:

An anaconda boot disk and updates disk are now available which fixes the
following problems:

    1) Type 0x0f partitions not being recognized as extended
    2) HPFS and NTFS partitions not being identified properly
    3) KDE Workstation installs starting GNOME by default

8. Solution:

To use the anaconda update disk, you must have the new boot disk. The boot
diskettes shipped with Red Hat Linux 6.1 Intel do not support anaconda updates.
Booting from CDROM will not allow the updates disk to be used.

Follow the instructions in the Red Hat Linux Reference Guide to make floppy
disks from the following files located at updates.redhat.com:/6.1/images/i386:

    updates-RHEA-1999:044.img
    boot-RHEA-1999:044.img
    bootnet-RHEA-1999:044.img
    pcmcia-RHEA-1999:044.img

(note that you only need one of the boot images; users installing from CD will
only need boot-RHEA-1999:044.img)

When booting into the anaconda installation program, type "text updates" at
the boot prompt, followed by any other installation options which are
required (such as "expert" or "text"). The installation process will prompt
you to insert the updates disk when it is required, and the install will
then proceed as normal.

9. Verification:

8f68c18267b6739508e5ac34508df1c6  boot-RHEA-1999:044.img
3aac260cb4c889b1e7c08ddca27b076f  bootnet-RHEA-1999:044.img
f5b884ad9571e34335bcc76cf4e09617  pcmcia-RHEA-1999:044.img
6fda1e127be72876ff523a83f299791f  updates-RHEA-1999:045.img

10. References: