Nick R on Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:14:30 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] telnetting around a firewall - non-technical considerations

First, there's no rule that you can't telnet out. It's just been disabled at the proxy level.

Second, no, they're just idiots. I'm in the loop here and they're paranoid idiots i.e. they're trying to make a kiosk part of which involves a map of the school through which information can be accessed. Aside from the general Badness of such a proposition, they are holding on it for now because of the fear that somebody will perform a Columbine with the aid of said map. Overlooked of course is the fact that the blue prints to the school are publicly available to all and there is a map given to each student in the form of an agenda book.

Third, bah! They'd never figure it out and if they did, they'd just tell me not to do it again. I've gotten that for an actual offence that put them into a legally questionable position which I won't get into right now. For something as simple as telnetting out into my box at home they won't do anything.

       -Laktar, a.k.a. Nick Rosen, laktar.dyndns.org

If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord:
98. If an attractive young couple enters my realm, I will carefully monitor
their activities. If I find they are happy and affectionate, I will ignore
them. However if circumstance have forced them together against their will and
they spend all their time bickering and criticizing each other except during
the intermittent occasions when they are saving each others' lives at which
point there are hints of sexual tension, I will immediately order their
execution.
-- Peter's Evil Overlord List, http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html
Well, since they have a rule that you can't telnet out, and if you do
telnet out (regardless of whether it's via a java applet or tunneled or
other method used), I'd say there was no "technically about it"; you are
breaking the rules. They said you can't do that from their equipment;
you're trying to do it anyway.

Earlier, you had said there was no good reason for them to lock out telnet.
Maybe they have reasons you don't know about. Maybe they're worried that
someone may do something rude via telnet from their systems (after all, if
you telnet into someone else's system, you are IN someone else's system,
and might be able to exploit some vulnerability that the managers of the
other system may not be aware of);  and that your school may be liable.

Whether you do telnet out or not is your business; not being involved, it's
not really my concern. Hell, I've done all kinds of things I'm not supposed
to. :-) Just be aware of what you're really doing, and of any consequences
if they do catch you (I wouldn't rule out loss of priveleges, or even
suspension; you might be surprised at how seriously a school would come
down on someone who's hacked their systems).