LeRoy D. Cressy on Sun, 14 Nov 1999 10:18:02 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Re-formatting hard drives

There are several things that you might do to make a DOS drive :-(

First:	turn off your swap
	# swapoff

Second:	Use Linux fdisk to restore the master boot record.
	# fdisk -mbr

Third:	Use the Linux fdisk program to repartition your Hd with either vfat or
fat partitions getting rid of all swap and ext2 partitions on the hd.  This will
destroy the operating system on the hd and anything else.

Final:	Reboot the machine with the DOS install floppy.

Notes:

Some versions of the DOS fdisk program cannot handle an Ext2 or swap partition,
thus will not partition the drive properly to run in DOS mode.  So it is
important to us the Linux fdisk program to make the drive into a sembalance of
something thas MS fdisk can handle.

JFRANCANO3@aol.com wrote:

> How do I wipe a linux drive clean so I can make it boot to DOS 6.22? I had RH
> 6.0 on it and would like to make it boot to DOS. I have tried removing
> partitions, and format c: /u/s and am still getting LILO: prompt when booting
> from hard drive. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		mailto:ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037