Nicolai Rosen on Sat, 25 Dec 1999 13:03:36 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] PnP or non-PnP modem?

Personally I prefer non PnP in Win & Linux. If the PnP has jumpers as well, then go for it, but it can be a pain to set them up in Linux. It's not extremely involved or anything, but it can get on your nerves and if you dual boot Win could mess w/ the PnP settings and make the modem not work under Linux (the Linux PnP hack isn't able to actually setup a PnP device yet, but merely use it).

From: "Bill Jonas" <Bill_Jonas@msn.com>
To: <plug@lists.nothinbut.net>
Subject: [Plug] PnP or non-PnP modem?
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 10:59:08 -0500

Hi all, looking for advice.

I have an opportunity to get a free 28.8 modem. Choice between two: one
that is PnP and one with jumpers. They are both hardware modems. I've
heard that PnP under Linux is better than it used to be and also that PnP
will be supported in the 2.4 kernel. Ordinarily, it wouldn't be a difficult
decision, but I dual-boot Win98 and would appreciate the simpler setup
there. Any suggestions?

TIA,
Bill

And a big MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours.  If you do not celebrate
Christmas, then Happy $HOLIDAY.  (If you don't celebrate any holiday, then
have a nice day.  :) )