Michael W. Ryan on Tue, 28 Dec 1999 17:28:04 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] DVD software

Before I respond, I would like to point out that I don't have an issue
with THIS being discussed (even though I don't necessarily agree :).

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Mental wrote:

> Before anyone jumps all over me for continuing to discuss this, I'll say
> I'm not advocating mirroring the software. Thats something people can
> decide to do on their own. I'm just noting that there's a protest
> being organized here: http://dibona.com/social/dvd/. Saw it on
> kernelnotes.org and thought it was relevent. Personally, I'd like to see
> an open DVD player. If I could, I'd attend the protest.

I'm not sure that an open player would be viable, given the apparent level
of paranoia that the film industry has over copying.  The whole reason for
the encryption and the control over the keys is that the industry doesn't
trust the development community, Open Source or otherwise, enough to make
the decryption keys publicly available.  And I have to say, the response,
in general, to this issue doesn't necessarily help change their
perception.

I think a more productive route would be to try to convince an existing
DVD software/hardware licensee that there's a viable market for a DVD
player on the Linux platform.  Unfortunately, the Linux community has an
image that it needs to be Open Source or they're not interested.  Open
Source is NOT a suitable solution for everything.  Think of how much loss
the movie industry has suffered because VHS tapes are eminently
bootleggable.  Now, you want them to agree to make a format that's not
only theatre quality, but digital (and therefore doesn't lose quality on
copying) and has additional features?  If this is the case, I think the
Linux community is seriously deluding itself and doesn't have a real
future.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)