Kyle Burton on Tue, 28 Dec 1999 17:52:30 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] blast from the past...

Is it trying to do a reverse dns lookup?  Is the client hostname resolvable
to an ip address?  What are the contents of your hosts.allow and hosts.deny
on the box?  (ignore this request if they're empty)

The most common reason I've seen for this is the reverse name lookup having
to time out...

can you telnet to the box from the box?  i.e. can you telnet to the ip
address assigned to it?  (not 127.0.0.1)

Alcohol, hashish, prussic acid, strychnine are weak dilutions. The surest
poison is time.
    -- Emerson, "Society and Solitude"