Kyle Burton on Thu, 30 Dec 1999 16:38:56 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] is there a linesize limit??

I wouldn't have known unless you said.  So...shame on you!  :)

> In Oracle 8i on GNU-Linux, trying to dump a 213K table to a file but
> there are no CRLF breaks..
> at 511 Bytes (characters) the thing blows up..
> I don;'t think this is a Linux hassle, but I'm trying to be sure before
> pursuing other resolutions..

Filesystems don't care about the data you're trying to store in a file --
they don't look at the data to see what you're putting in there.  So to
say it's a line break thing would be doubious.

511 bytes?  That's strangely close to 512 - a power of 2 - 2 to the 9th.
Is there some buffer size you have to set in oracle?  How are you trying
to dump the data?  What software are you using?

I know that Oralce tried to keep users from using sqlplus as a fully fledged
reporting system by limiting the dbms_output function's maximum output size.

A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming, is not
worth knowing.
    -- Alan J. Perlis