Bill Jonas on Sat, 1 Jan 2000 16:24:43 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Partitioning advice

> Some things to be aware of.  First, just to be on the safe side, put Win98
on
> the HDA1 - We know that linux does not really care where it is set up on
and
> since Mr. Gates thinks that windows is the only OS, it would not supprise
me if
> it causes a problem if it is not on HDA1.

I've set it up as follows:  /boot on hda1 (~16 megs), swap on hda4 (~128
megs), and the rest more or less equally divided between hda2 (Win98) and
hda3 (Linux), with slightly more going to Linux.

> As far as partitions, if you are not
> using the system as a server, then there is no REAL reason to set /boot
/root
> /var /home /whatever directories onto different partitions that is unless
you
> just want to follow "normal conventions".

The reason I'm putting /boot in a small partition in hda1 is to be sure I
can avoid the 1024 cylinder limit when I upgrade my kernels, especially
considering the fact that since I'm dividing space pretty much equally
between Linux and an inferior OS, the entire Linux partition would be >1024
cylinders, and I'd have to boot from a floppy to get into Linux.  That said,
/ is one large partition.

> As far leaving the existing drive in
> the PC, your performance of one device or the other will be degraded as
soon as
> you hook it up as either a master or a slave.  Also note that some CD roms
and
> HDD's and motherboard combinations will not play well together say if one
> device is a Mode 3 and one is a mode 4 or if the HDD is a UDMA drive
(which it
> probably is not).  You may not have a choice as to where you set it up.
That
> being said, first try to slave the HDD off of the CD ROM first, since we
are
> probably not too worried about the performance of the old HDD.  If that
does
> not work make the HDD the master and the CD the slave.  You really want to
> avoid slaving anything off of the shiny new fast hard drive.

Exactly.  The new one is master on the primary IDE channel with no slave.
Since even the old hard disk is faster than the CD-ROM, I've set it as
master on the secondary channel, as I've heard something about the speed
limitation on a given IDE channel being somehow related to the speed of the
master device.

One neat thing is that my BIOS can boot from any hard drive, which was nice
for starting out right after I had moved things around.  I partitioned hda1
from Linux and then hda2 from Win98's DOS and then copied my C: drive to the
new one.  I powered down, reconfigured the cables and jumpers so that
master/slave primary/secondary was as above, and tried to boot up.  The
start-up screen just stopped after, "Searching for boot record from IDE-0".
This was when I realized I'd forgotten to make any partitions active.  :)
Booted from floppy, and then tried to restart.  Same thing again.  I wasn't
sure what was going on, so I booted back into DOS and tried the
ever-venerable "sys c:" (even though I'd "format /s"'d it and told it to go
ahead and copy the system files yet again; my guess is that it was the MBR)
and "fdisk /mbr".  Rebooted, and everything worked like a champ.  Darn good
speed, too!  Loading programs from disk seems to be ~25-50% faster, but of
course I have no benchmarks.

My old hard drive is a TriGem (?).  Anybody ever heard of them before?  I
hadn't.  What's stranger is the drive reports itself as a Samsung when
queried by the BIOS after the memory test, as well as during Linux boot-up.

Oh, and happy new year, Y2K, century -1, and millennium - 1!  :)

Bill

--
"Look, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it 'guaranteed', I
will.  I got spare time."