fourje on Sun, 2 Jan 2000 16:53:55 -0500 (EST)

[Plug] Corel Linux??

Okay, this one os for all you Debian enthusiasts (especially you
Chris<g>).
Over here in the UK, one of the magazines (PCPlus) has a cover CD of
Corel Linux 1.0 - which uses the Debian Distribution.
Now, I was able to install it successfully and was reasonably pleased
with its presentation.  Not too many packages availabel though.  Sound
setup on my Opti 933 board was not perfect, but usable. Video setup via
the KDE control panel is a nice touch and works well.  I found Xwindows
jumpy on this distribution compared to say - RedHat6.0 and Caldera2.2
(or even Slackware and SuSE). I was unable to configure KPPP - pppd kept
dying on me.  Although using kppp in OpenLinux2.2 with the same settings
was no problem.
Also, I could not get the package manager working at all - I could see
the installed apps, but could not see the remaining apps on the CD.
I've reverted back to OpenLinux for the time being, but I'd like to get
some input from anyone with experience with this distro to see if I can
get it set up successfully.
Thanks in advance - and a healthy New Year to everyone at PLUG.
Dave E.