Joel A. Matz on Mon, 3 Jan 2000 09:17:07 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Connecting to ISP with Server assigned DNS

I thought about this when I first signed up with Bell's DSL then lost it
& had to use their dial up service (they said it was dynamic DNS).  The
most feasible answer seemed to be running named locally with a dummy
domain under the 192.168 scheme.  The holes in this seem to be slowness
of initial response, especially since you can't save the cache through
reboot (is this still true?).  A tough life for a dialup workstation...

Another possible answer (somebody shoot holes at will) would be to do a
nslookup on some of your ISP's major boxen & try to find a pattern with
the name servers.  They could just be lying to you about the dynamic DNS
thing, or maybe they just don't want to stress out their public
servers.  If their proper name servers work for you then I'd point to
them.  Serves them right for using a kludge.

Happy New Year,
Joel.