LeRoy D. Cressy on Sun, 30 Jan 2000 13:25:05 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Adding memory

I think that the amount of memory that the kernel recognizes is both a bios
issue and a kernel issue.  The kernel retrives a lot of information from the
bios and if the bios only reports 64M ram the kernel will assume that the bios
is correct unless given further info.  Also, kernels before < 2.1.? only auto
probed for values <= 64M.  And further more I think that LILO has something to
deal with the amount of memory reported to the kernel.

So in synopsis I believe that the amount of ram reported to the kernel may be
contributed to various aspects of the system and not just one item.

--
          0 0      Linux Force, Inc. http://www.LinuxForce.net
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		mailto:ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037