James Sulfare Jr on Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:19:40 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Firewall setup ??

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this request.  I picked up the book
today and am finding it's contents to be very helpful.

Once again thanks.

-jimS

mg@infinity.stf.org wrote:

> Well, the ipchains HOWTO should be your first stop. It'll cover all the
> basics of setting up a packet filtering firewall.  Beyond that, I picked
> up a book called "Linux Firewalls" by Robert L. Ziegler at Borders which
> has proved useful to me.  Besides showing how to actually implement the
> firewall, the book shows you a good approach to designing a firewall. It
> also has several real world examples that are very helpful.
>
>         On a side note, as no doubt some of you using the 2.3.x kernels
> know, ipchains has been replaced by ipfilter. ipfilter in turn is divided
> into iptables and ipnatctl. I've been playing with iptables for about a
> month now, but I'm mostly interested in ipnatctl. I've heard very very
> good things about. So for anyone who is using it, what are your
> impressions?
>
> mg
>
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Bill Jonas wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, James Sulfare Jr wrote:
> >
> > >ISO..
> > >
> > >Some really great training and documentation on setting up a firewall with
> > >slackware 7.
> > >
> > >Please post links or e-mail them to me, All welcome.
> > >
> > >-jimS
> >
> > Please post to the list; I use Slack 7 as well.
> >
> > Bill
> > --
> > "Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -- massive,
> > difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind -
> > boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
> >  -Gene Spafford, 1992
> > Stop abusive software patents!  Start typing http://www.noamazon.com

begin:vcard
n:Sulfare Jr;James
tel;pager:877 326 0522
tel;fax:215-970-3591
tel;work:215-970-3506
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http:\\www.solinkit.com
org:SoLinkIt;IT
adr:;;Post Office Box 1953;Bethlehem ;PA;18016;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:jsulfare@fast.net
title:CTI Engineer
fn:James Sulfare Jr