Bill Jonas on Tue, 8 Feb 2000 04:32:18 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Linux MP3 players suck!

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

>I seem to recall something about this being a characteristic of
>Soundblaster cards.  I could be wrong.
>
>How fast is your system, and what kind of sound card do you have?

I've a Cyrix MII-233 (686-class, "equivalent" to a PII-233 (but you
probably already knew that)).  Sound card is on-board Crystal CS4235,
supported in the standard stable kernel (as of 2.2.13 for sure, much
likely earlier).  32 megs of RAM... oh yeah, I'm playing the MP3s off of
my secondary hard drive (that's pretty much all I'm using for, and I
haven't used it much), which is the master drive on the secondary
channel, slave being my CD-ROM (which is not being accessed at the same
time).  Primary drive is master on the primary IDE channel with a high
spin rate and large cache, with no slave.  Running KDE 1.1.2 (? -- Is
that an actual version?  I'm at work right now and my box is not dialed
in, so I can't access it), kernel 2.2.13.  I'll have to check the
version of Freeamp.  It was not compiled using nasm; I've just
downloaded it, and I'll try it tomorrow with that.

I didn't mean for that first posting to sound all whiny; I was just
getting a little frustrated.  :)

Bill
--
"Notice how altering $one in fact altered each element of @a.
This is a feature, not a bug."  -Schwartz & Christiansen,