Trevor J Martin on Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:00:57 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] unreal tournament in linux

When I went to the linux world expo,  I had the chance to see
Q3arena in all it's glory in linux on an NVidia GEForce . I myself have
a tnt2 card and
immediatly ran to the SGI booth begging them to tell me when a GL driver
would be publicly released.
They all gave me political answers which was very dissapointing , but
the guys at the Creative Labs booth said otherwise.

Good News : SUPPOSEDLY a driver will be released in about 6 weeks
Not so good news : it will be binary only for legal reasons with SGI (no
tweaks from linux hackers).

Well , what can I say except that I've been very patient with nvidia ,
but am starting to regret my $200 purchase.
The only way for me to play games is booting into winblows (arrgh). So I
did what any fed up person would do and
I traded my tnt2 for my friends voodoo3 2000 agp (just until the driver
gets released). He only uses winblows , so he has
a 32MB agp card to use for the next 6 weeks (if what I heard holds up)
which is a great deal. I drove home at lightning speed,
shoved in the 3dfx card, installed all the necessary libs (compiled cvs
mesa) and the modified XF86SVGA server.

Q3arena works very nice. I even got it running at 1024x768 flawlessly. A
NASTY little bug for me is that it doesn't work under
Enlightenment which is the window manager that I use exclusively. It
works fine under KDE (yuck!), but I guess switching window managers is
better than rebooting into winblows (although visually they are pretty
much the same). Enough about my
gripes with KDE , back to my real question ..I'll get to the point.
Unreal Tournament , one of my favorite multiplayer games will
only run in 640x480 resolution. If i try to "kick it up a notch" it
crashes , giving me a Segmentation Fault in my xterm window. Are their
any linux gamers on this list who have gotten UT to work in higher
resolutions ? Can anyone give me some
clue where to look for more help? I even installed the 402a patch from
the UT website thinking that this may be my problem.
I haven't found anyone in IRC (my best resource for linux help) who
could answer my prob.

        -Trevor Martin
     tjmartin@home.com