Adam Turoff on Thu, 17 Feb 2000 19:52:49 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Moo-ha-ha.

> So, Bill Gates is willing to open the source to Win2000 to settle the
> government case. I personally think he'll redefine Open Source and continue on
> the way he's been going for several years. Thoughts?

MSFT has been talking about how to open source in a meaningful manner
for over a year now.  Last time Ballmer brought it up, it was just
drivers or possibly frameworks.

Strategically speaking, I think they're trying to figure out how to get
Justice off their back, and slam open source by showing it's a 16-ton
bag of pixie dust that doesn't do what it promises -- like mozilla but
without even a hint of the slighest payback.

And if that doesn't work, they'll find some bogus little corner to show that
it can work for efforts smaller than Win2k.  Something like a dorky little
control in IE or something.

Z.