Adam Turoff on Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:05:36 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Microsoft's statement about Solaris-based Hotmail (old)

Mike wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Adam Turoff wrote:
> [...]
>
> Just a point:  contrary to popular belief/rumor, it is possible to
> administer NT remotely.

Yes, but only from a Win* box.  If I'm in Adelade and a Linux server
gets funky, I can get it back up with a friend's iMac (hell, a MacPlus!,
or even a pocket DOS computer!) and a net connection.

If an NT server gets funky, I can get it back up whilst I'm in Adelade,
but I'll need an NT laptop (or at least a Win* laptop of sufficiently
recent vintage).  Possibly configured properly to (1) dial up to the
internet and (2) behave well on my remote network.

> Also, don't downplay the benefit and importance of a GUI.  GUI's were
> created for a reason.

And don't downplay the benefit and importance of config files.  GUIs
can royally screw things up like few config languages can.  :-)

GUIs are like any other technology -- they can be used well or misused
poorly.  I respect what Microsoft has done to simplify video configuration.
I've also lived the maze of tabs, buttons and dialogs required to do
something as simple as edit /etc/resolv.conf.

> [...] It all depends and what your needs are, and not
> everyone's needs for their OS is the same.

Well put.

If I say anything more, It'll be a senseless waste of lighter fluid.  :-)

Z.