Tracy Nelson on Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:38:23 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] Aspects of closed mailing lists

Just read an interesting bit in comp.risks.  Seems that a spammer was
using a closed listserv to spew out his garbage.  The scam is, forge a
header to the closed listserv that includes the _recipient's_ e-mail
address for the sender.  The listserv then bounces the message --
including the original text -- to the "back" to the sender.

But wait, it gets better.  In the spirit of last week's DDoS theme,
imagine sending e-mail to a closed listserv, forging as the sender --
another closed listserv!  If both reply with the complete text of the
original message, you'll start a mailstorm of hellish proportions.

Recommendations:
* Turn off automated bounce messages.  Quick-n-easy.
* If you think bounce messages are important, then configure your mailer
to only reply with the subject line of the rejected article.
* (If you've got time & source) Configure your mailer to scan the logs &
identify mailstorms.

I was intrigued by this, and I know that several people on the list are
responsible for listservs, so I thought maybe it would be good info for
the list.

--
Just junk food for thought...