Darxus on Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:10:28 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] XFree 4.0 - multiheading

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Darxus wrote:
>
> > In my searches, I found someone commenting that this could be done through
> > USB (hooking up multiple keyboards) -- didn't occur to me since I've never
> > used usb, or even seen it used.
>
> Yeah, you could connect them all with USB, but I'm not sure how you would
> get them all to be associated together as a console.  It would probably
> require some programming.

I'm certain it would.  In both the kernel, and the X server.  Which is why
I've been trying to find an xfree86 mailing list, and looking into usb
kernel stuff.

If any of you know anything about an xfree86 mailing list.. I've heard
rumours that it exists, but I haven't been able to find anything about it.

> > And the biggest reason I think this would work is efficient CPU usage.
> > On mainframes (fat server, very thin client), CPU usage is pretty
> > consistant. You've got a large number of users hitting it at a pretty
> > stable level.
>
> Oh, definitely, but I think you need more than just a keyboard, display,
> and mouse, especially for X (which is the whole idea behind thin client
> systems).  This could be achieved with something cheap, maybe even
> sub-Pentium.

So you're talking about a seperate X server for each user ?  Why isn't a
seperate keyboard, mouse, and monitor enough for each user ?

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Michael Leone wrote:

> > Beyond this just being a really neat idea, I can see it helping Linux
> > compete with Microsoft.  Here at work, I'm sitting at cluster of 3 desks.
> > If you could attach 3 monitors, keyboards, and mice to one machine that
> > cost half as much as the 3 of ours put together, it would be... neat.
>
> But what useful purpose would that serve? two monitors I can understand, but
> why 2 keyboards?

So you could put multiple users on it.