Bill Jonas on Fri, 10 Mar 2000 18:03:05 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] NIC's and Other things.

CIA reports from Mar 10 indicate Darxus may or may not have said:

>No... there is a way to make 2 partitions look like a single volume, not
>doing anything redundant or faster.  Windows can do something like it too.

I've seen some shrink-wrapped software about this.  (Windows stuff.
I've not seen any shrink-wrapped free (speech (or beer for that matter))
software.

>Okay, from the RAID-Software HOWTO:
>
>"RAID-linear is a simple concatenation of partitions to create a larger
>virtual partition. It is handy if you have a number small drives, and wish
>to create a single, large partition. This concatenation offers no
>redundancy, and in fact decreases the overall reliability: if any one disk
>fails, the combined partition will fail."

RAID == Redundant Array of (Inexpensive||Independent) Disks
(RAID||Array) !(necessarily)= Data striping or mirroring
Partition == "Virtual Disk"

I suspect we are in violent agreement here.

Bill
--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought.
But World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- A. E.