Steven Davila on Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:10:22 -0500 (EST)

RE: [PLUG] Re: non - root ppp access

you can always just run a ping and continuously send tiny packets across
your line somewhere...

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net]On Behalf Of Francis Gleeson
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 5:39 PM
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: [PLUG] Re: non - root ppp access

I use netcfg to set up my ppp. On one of the gui
panels (if run from x) there is a checkbox to allow
non-root users to use ppp. Then if you go into
linuxcfg under user accounts one of the priviledges
is allow pppd. Finally to start up ppp I execute
"ifup ppp0" (you may have to provide a path to ifup)
"ifdown ppp0" shuts down ppp.

I like this a lot better than logging in as root starting
pppd and then logging in again. Also my ISP has
the rude habit of hanging up on me if the line goes idle.