Dave Torok on Sat, 25 Mar 2000 15:18:26 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] Rapid Rollout of linux boxes?

Hi,

  I was just up at the Ogonz Avenue Art Company, a non-profit
which accepts used PCs (they have 3000 pentium & 486's from gov't
surplus) and teaches inner city kids computing skills, with the
kids taking home the machines at the end of the training.

  The director of the program was lamenting how he would love to put
Linux on the boxes, but that it "wasn't there yet".  He also noted
how Norton Ghost can do a Windows setup clone in 8 minutes and RedHat
took 2 hours (well, I've done it in 15 minutes).

  Anyone have any great ideas on which distribution and/or method
could be used to rapidly install on many boxes, which may
differ in hardware configurations?  And which might be "newbie-friendly"
in the use (a la Corel)?  And which is still GPL free?