ziggy on Thu, 6 Apr 2000 22:57:14 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] C/Makefile Online Documentation

> For makefiles, check out _Managing Projects with Make_, O'Reilly & assoc,
> ISBN 0-937175-90-0.  And for C, there's always _The C Programming Language_,
> Kernighan and Ritchie, ISBN 0-13-110163-3.

K&R is easily the best resource on programming in C, but it's a little
dated and intended to reach the professional programmer.  When I was
an undergrad, I found many descriptions befuddling, especially the
parts that were "implementation defined".  It took me many, many moons
to realize that "implementation defined" meant implementation defined.  :-)

K&R is the definitive source on C programming, and I can't think of
anything else to recommend to readers who find that text a little terse.
Finding another book published by Addison Wesley is probably a good bet
should you need to find one.

As for ORA's Make book, it's actually quite old.  It spends a lot
of time talking about differences between various berkeley and system V
make implementations, as well as a handful of other (once) commonly used
make(1) replacements.  All in all, that book is primarily of historical
interest at this point in time.  (Yes, I bought a copy before coming to
this conclusion, unfortunately.)

If you're going to be doing C programming under Linux, then you're probably
going to be using a recent version of GNU make.  The make info files are
pretty good, and you can convert the texinfo sources into something
printable, or find one of the dead trees versions of the same document
(and support the FSF with your purchase).

Sadly, good make documentation is hard to come by.

HTH,

Z.