Kevin Brosius on Fri, 7 Apr 2000 08:54:55 -0400 (EDT)

libc upgrades (was Re: [PLUG] I need a library file for Netscape 6)

> On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Martin DiViaio wrote:
>
> >I'm running RedHat 5.2 with Kernel 2.2.13 from tar files;
> >glibc-2.0.7-29, libc-5.3.12-28 from RPM packages.
> >
> >I went and grabbed a copy of glibc-2.1.2.tar.gz from gnu.org last night.
> >We'll see if I don't completely hose my system trying to install it...
> >:)
>
> I've heard that it can be really difficult to upgrade your libc.  I
> think there might be a HOWTO.
>
> Be sure, too, that you get the termcap library (if it's not included
> with glibc).
>
> Bill

Definitely use the HOWTO, you can find if off the GNU web site.  It's
not so much difficult as it is dangerous.  I've been through it a couple
times, and you just want to go slow and read ahead to make sure you
don't make your system unusable.  The HOWTO is correct enough to keep
you out of trouble.  And make sure you have a set of boot disks
available in case you make a mistake and the system doesn't boot after
you've completed the upgrade.

On most recent distros, glibc is the primary libc.  That means that
upgrading it has the potential to cause many apps not to run if you mess
up the install.  Just work carefully and you'll be okay.

--
Kevin Brosius