Kyle Burton on Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:05:02 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Unwanted services.

Mental just informed me yesterday that killall works very differently on
Linux than it does on other platforms -- specificly solaris.

Since many of the readres on this list use other unixes, I though I'd share
Mental's explanation.

Under Linux, killall will kill processes that match the name you give it.
Under other unixes, it will kill _all_ processes (with a default signal
of SIGTERM).  This means that if you issue 'killall vi' on solaris, you'll
end up sending a 'vi' signal (which is invalid, and will revert to TERM)
to every process on the box -- probably not what you want.

Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be
inconsistently inconsistent.
    -- Larry Wall in <199809041918.MAA06850@wall.org>